If you’re a bike enthusiast or simply someone who wants to keep their bicycle in top-notch condition, you’ve probably wondered whether GT85 is a suitable choice for lubricating your bike chain. In this article, we’ll address this common query, providing you with valuable insights, recommendations, and frequently asked questions (FAQs) to ensure you make an informed decision.
The Versatility of GT85
GT85 is a popular multi-purpose lubricant and penetrant spray that has gained a reputation for its versatility. But can you use GT85 on your bike chain effectively? Let’s dive into the details.
Benefits of GT85 on Bike Chains
GT85 on bike chains offers numerous advantages, making it a preferred choice among cyclists. Here’s why:
Enhanced Bike Performance
Friction Reduction: This subheading addresses how GT85 reduces friction between the components of a bike chain. Reduced friction means less resistance when pedaling, resulting in a smoother ride. It also decreases wear and tear on the chain, potentially extending its lifespan.
Improved Gear Shifting: This part explores how GT85’s lubricating properties can lead to smoother gear shifting. When the chain moves more smoothly between gears, it enhances the overall biking experience, making gear changes quicker and more precise.
Rust Prevention: Here, the focus is on how GT85 acts as a protective barrier to prevent rust from forming on the bike chain. Rust can weaken the chain and affect its performance, so this benefit is crucial for maintaining its longevity.
Corrosion Resistance: This subheading discusses how GT85 helps the bike chain resist corrosion caused by exposure to various elements, such as moisture and environmental factors. It ensures that the chain remains in optimal condition even in challenging weather conditions.
Dust and Dirt Repellency
Dirt and Grime Resistance: This part explains how GT85’s properties make the bike chain more resistant to dirt and grime buildup. A cleaner chain not only looks better but also functions more efficiently, as dirt and grime can cause additional friction.
Extended Chain Lifespan: This subheading elaborates on how GT85’s dust and dirt repellency can significantly extend the life of the bike chain. Reduced accumulation of debris means less wear and tear on the chain, translating to fewer replacements and cost savings for the cyclist.
Precise Application: This section discusses how GT85’s spray format allows for precise and targeted application. Cyclists can easily reach all the critical areas of the chain, ensuring that it receives the lubrication it needs for optimal performance.
Quick and Convenient: Here, the focus is on the convenience of using GT85 for bike chain maintenance. Cyclists can quickly apply it, even on-the-go, making it a preferred choice for those who want to keep their bikes in top shape without hassle.
How to Use GT85 on Bike Chains
Using GT85 on your bike chain is a straightforward process. Follow these steps for optimal results:
- Clean the Chain: The first step emphasized in this section is the importance of cleaning the bike chain thoroughly before applying GT85. This is a crucial preparatory step as it ensures that the lubricant adheres to a clean surface, maximizing its effectiveness.
- 2. Shake the Can: Before using GT85, it is essential to shake the can vigorously. This action ensures that the lubricant inside the can is properly mixed and ready for application. Failing to shake the can may result in uneven application.
- 3. Apply Liberally: This step explains how to apply GT85 to the bike chain. It involves spraying GT85 directly onto the chain while turning the pedals. This process ensures that the lubricant is evenly distributed across all the chain’s components, including the rollers, pins, and plates.
- 4. Wipe Off Excess: After applying GT85, it’s essential to wipe off any excess lubricant. This prevents the excess GT85 from attracting dirt and debris, which can negatively impact the chain’s performance and lead to increased maintenance needs.
Drawbacks of GT85 on Bike Chains
While GT85 offers several advantages, it’s essential to consider potential drawbacks:
- Limited Longevity: One of the potential drawbacks discussed is that GT85 may require more frequent reapplication compared to specialized bike chain lubricants. This means that cyclists may need to apply GT85 more frequently to maintain the desired level of lubrication, which can be seen as a potential inconvenience.
- 2. Washout Risk: Another drawback highlighted is the risk of GT85 being washed away in heavy rain or when exposed to water. This can necessitate more frequent reapplication, especially for cyclists who ride in wet conditions. It’s important for readers to understand that GT85 may not provide the same level of water resistance as some specialized bike chain lubes.
When to use GT85 on Bike Chains
Perform routine maintenance every 100-200 miles or after riding in wet conditions. Applying GT85 during regular maintenance prevents wear and tear and extends the life of your chain.
2. After Rainy Rides
Rain can wash away the lubrication on your bike chain. After a rainy ride, it’s essential to dry your chain and apply GT85 to prevent corrosion.
3. Before Long Rides
If you’re planning a long cycling journey, prepping your bike is essential. Applying GT85 before a lengthy ride reduces friction and ensures a smoother experience.
GT85 Dry Lube Pros and Cons
Pros of GT85 Dry Lube
1. Excellent Lubrication
- GT85 Dry Lube provides outstanding lubrication for your bike chain. It reduces friction, ensuring a smooth and efficient ride.
2. Long-Lasting Performance
- One of the significant advantages of GT85 Dry Lube is its long-lasting performance. You won’t need to reapply it frequently, even on extended rides.
3. Water Repellent
- This lube effectively repels water, making it ideal for wet and muddy conditions. It prevents water from damaging your chain and causing corrosion.
4. Dirt and Dust Resistance
- GT85 Dry Lube forms a protective layer that repels dirt and dust. Your chain stays cleaner, reducing the need for frequent cleaning.
- Besides bike chains, GT85 Dry Lube can be used on other bicycle components like derailleurs, cables, and shifters.
Cons of GT85 Dry Lube
1. Initial Drying Time
- GT85 Dry Lube requires some time to dry after application. This can be a drawback if you need to use your bike immediately after lubricating the chain.
2. Limited Extreme Conditions
- While GT85 is great for most conditions, extreme environments may require a more specialized lubricant, such as a wet lube for heavy rain or a wax-based lube for very dry conditions.
3. Proper Application Needed
- To maximize its benefits, GT85 Dry Lube should be applied correctly. Failing to clean the chain thoroughly before application can lead to subpar results.
4. Not Suitable for All Materials
- GT85 Dry Lube may not be suitable for all types of bike chains, particularly those made of unconventional materials. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for compatibility.
|Pros of GT85 Dry Lube||Cons of GT85 Dry Lube|
|Excellent Lubrication||Initial Drying Time|
|Long-Lasting Performance||Limited Extreme Conditions|
|Water Repellent||Proper Application Needed|
|Dirt and Dust Resistance||Not Suitable for All Materials|
|Versatility (use on various parts)|
FAQs about Using GT85 on Bike Chains
Q: Can I Use GT85 on Any Bike Chain? Yes, GT85 is compatible with most bike chains, including those on road bikes, mountain bikes, and BMX bikes. However, it’s essential to check the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific chain.
Q: How Often Should I Apply GT85? The frequency of GT85 application depends on your riding conditions. In general, inspect your chain regularly, and if you notice signs of dryness or increased noise, it’s time for a reapplication.
Q: Is GT85 Environmentally Friendly? GT85 is formulated to be environmentally friendly and safe for bike chains. However, be cautious not to overspray or contaminate the soil with excess product.
Q: Can GT85 Damage Plastic Components? While GT85 is safe for most components, excessive use on plastic parts can cause damage. Be mindful when applying near plastic components.
Q: Can I Use GT85 in Extreme Weather Conditions? GT85 performs well in various weather conditions but may require more frequent applications in extreme wet or dusty conditions.
Q: Should I Remove the Chain Before Applying GT85? It’s not necessary to remove the chain for GT85 application. Simply turn the pedals while spraying to ensure thorough coverage.
In conclusion, the answer to the question, “Can you use GT85 on bike chains?” is a resounding yes. GT85 is a versatile and effective lubricant that offers numerous benefits for bike chains. However, it’s essential to consider the specific needs of your bike and riding conditions. Regular maintenance and application of GT85 can help you enjoy a smooth and silent ride while prolonging the life of your bike chain.